Saturday, August 14, 2010

Maximum

Today I went back to the cinema to see Inception again, this time in an IMAX screen. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'd heard that IMAX cinemas were somehow bigger and better than a normal theatre. In the end, It turned out to be just a really big cinema. Like Screen 17 in Cineworld, it was a great big slightly curved screen that nearly filled my entire field of vision. The speakers were louder and more distinct. So it's just a slightly better cinema.

While it's undeniably a great experience, it's not really that much noticeably better than a good cinema. If I try to compare it in terms of other cinemas, I could rank them. At the bottom would be Storm Cinema in Cavan, followed by the Savoy on O'Connell Street. Above that is the Omniplex in Santry and UCI in Blanchardstown, which strikes me as the minimum standard a cinema should be. Then towards the top is Pathé cinema over here, with Cineworld being the best I've been to. All these cinemas are an order of magnitude better than each other. But the IMAX screen is only slightly better than Cineworld. So while it is great, its not that much better than a very good cinema.

Still, it was fun. Inception was just as entertaining the second time through.

1 comment:

  1. I dont think i have ever really got the difference between imax and regular screens, maybe I just dont have the sight to see the extra detail it gives.

    I so have to see inception!

    ReplyDelete