Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Table-top

So, when I get home in a couple of months, I'm going to need a desk. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of space in my room, having ended up with the box room in Pleasantville. Now before I left, back in May, I took some measurements of my room and all the things that are in it. Big things, like a bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and a bedside locker. Now there isn't really anywhere to put these things so I have to fit them all into a little over two square metres.

Now, I haven't actually seen the room in a couple of months. Though judging from the measurements I took and what I remember the layout to be, I'm reasonably sure I can fit a desk just under 90centimetres in length between my wardrobe and my bed. Ideally I would have liked full metre but you have to work with what you've got.

Of course, it will block one door of the wardrobe and will probably make the other door more than a little awkward to open, though I can't really think of any alternate options. The bed takes up almost half the room, and most of the other half is taken up by the wardrobe and the chest of drawers. I need those units to store my clothes and there isn't really anywhere else in the house to store them. An ideal solution would be a big wardrobe incorporating drawers, though I don't really want to buy too much new furniture for a rental house.

So a desk of less than 90 centimetres and negligible depth. Any of the cheapest most rubbishy desks from IKEA would do just the job. Though I don't imagine them being very nice to work on. Of course the alternative is just to have no desk, and just leave the computer gathering dust for a year. Sure it's an option, not sure it's the one I want to pick though.

1 comment:

  1. Put the wardrobe in the garage, get one of those close rails from ikea.

    ReplyDelete