Thursday, July 1, 2010

No Cameras

Went for a video conference today, though it turned into a conference phone call at the last minute. I was a little relieved. The camera kept spinning around and surveying the room while the system was supposedly off. It was a little creepy.

I've been looking at the prices Skype charge for phone calls. On a bill they have unlimited calls for €6, on pay as you go it works out at about 2cent per minute. To compare, Meteor give me 29cent a minute local and national. Skype are offering 2cent a minute for local, national and international calls. That's some impressive value.

Of course, Skype isn't a real phone, you're dependant on a smartphone and a local internet connection; or in my case a laptop with a microphone. Though it's given me something to consider. I spent €30 over here to buy a cheap Vodafone mobile and Prepay SIM. I could have just spent €5 and gotten a Skype phone number and forwarded calls to my mobile. Much cheaper for all concerned.

I was paid this week. So naturally a big chunk is going on rent and the rest will be saved. Though I'm sorely tempted to pick up a couple of textbooks while I have the change. Something interesting to read on the bus to and from work every day. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something.

1 comment:

  1. Its been brought to my attention that Skype rates for mobile calls in Ireland are in fact 18cent per minute.
    http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/prices/payg-rates/?currency=EUR#cc=IE

    ReplyDelete