Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Slow Ride

I have to say, I'm kind of enjoying my job. I'm getting used to the hands off atmosphere. For a while I honestly thought I'd been forgotten about until I realised I was just being left to my own devices. It's a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere, and I'm getting work done. The food is also great, which is a big plus.

Not only the job, but life in general, I'm really starting to like it here in Holland. The infrastructure is just so much better. Regular public transport with smart cards, cycle lanes. There doesn't seem to be any real countryside, though there's not shortage of greenery. Between the towns and cities are small farms, forests or in some cases just big empty fields. All along the canal from work into Hoofddorp there are sheep grazing. I pass gaggles of geese on the canal bank on the way into work every day. Everywhere else I see strange looking ducks and fish jumping in the river. I quite like it here.

I'm getting used to the idea of a desktop email client. I've been trying out both Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail. Thunderbird tends to lock up a lot, though has improved in the last patch. It's not as flashy as Outlook in the office, but I've found a layout that works for me. Even if it looks a little dated. Windows Live Mail on the other hand is a lot nicer looking, and somewhat more intuitive. I still haven't figured out how to use Thunderbird to read RSS feeds or newsgroups yet but I was able to set this up in Live Mail in seconds. Though Live Mail also suffers from the occasional lock up. I'm still undecided as to which I prefer overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment