Wednesday, June 2, 2010

That Dutch Accent

The Dutch accent is a little strange. It reminds me of the Jagers from Girl Genius in a way, everyone stressing the leading H in a word, even words that don't have a leading H.
First proper day at work today. The atmosphere is very relaxed. I'm not used to not having fixed hours. They're not particularly bothered so long as I put in 40 hours over the course of a week. Seems decent. I haven't figured out which hours would work best for me yet, though. I figure I'll just try to make it in for 8:30 again tomorrow. The free drinks is a nice touch, but I need one of these fancy Dutch chip and pin smart cards to buy anything.

It'll be another week before I get a bank account, and with it I should get a chip and pin smartcard. Like a Laser card, only different. You charge it up with money, and then use it like cash. It doesn't take money straight from your account, you need to have it charged first. I few places I've been to just take Maestro, but anyone who serves food seems to want the smart cards and nothing else. Not able to get a smart travel card for the public transport until I've sorted it either.

This work environment will take some getting used to. Still haven't found a room yet either. Better keep looking.

2 comments:

  1. I adore the Jagers and their accent amuses me so if it's anything like that I would go around the place with a happy grin on my face. C:

    I didn't realise smartcards were so necessary.
    Way of the future I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of smartcards, Ireland can't even get them working for all public transports, don't see us getting them in near future :(

    ReplyDelete